The Thiepval Memorial

Memorial to the Missing

Built on the site of the former Thiepval Chateau and now dominating the surrounding countryside, this huge arched memorial was unveiled by the Prince of Wales on 31st July, 1932.

On its white stone panels are inscribed over 73,000 names of both British and French soldiers who were killed in the Somme Battlefield between 1916 - 17, and who have no known graves.

Return to Maps & Pictures page

© Karl W. Murray, 1996