The Ulster Tower was raised as a memorial to the soldiers of the Ulster Division who fought in the Great War.
Mostly built by public subscription, it was officially opened on 19th November, 1921 - almost five years to the day after the official end to the Battle of the Somme.
It is a very close copy of Helen's Tower which stands in the grounds of the Clandeboye Estate which is located in Northern Ireland east of Belfast and near the seaside town of Bangor.
Many of the men of the Ulster Division trained in the estate before moving to England and then France early in 1916.
The Ulster Tower as it appeared soon after its opening
Dedication plaque inside the Ulster Tower
Return to Maps & Pictures page
© Karl W. Murray, 1996